Numerology Store    Download  Techniques    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM

Default mulitple "takes" option in timeline!

I would love for there to be an option for multiple takes per stack on the timeline just like a daw! I am currently working on a multi version take of a track and to hear the different takes i have to keep opening and closing individual versions of the same song, it adds a lot of time to an otherwise simple process. Is this something others would also be into? I hope so it would definitely speed up my creative processes.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Interesting... Well, first there are a few other things that have to be done for the timeline -- such as a draggable wiper, better zooming, live preset recording, and so on. But, after that is all done, a take system is certainly worth looking at. So the question then is, exactly what should it look like? For instance, I could see having a 'take' menu for each track, then an 'arrangement version' for the whole timeline -- each arrangement version could have its own set of takes...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-05-2012, 01:11 PM

That is interesting. If you're using the timeline you could handle this with presets, right? An added feature to link volume, mute and/or solo controls of presets across multiple stacks would make it easier to use presets to setup takes.

A function to link presets across stacks so if you switched one it would change the others combined with using something like the number keys to switch them would be another way to make using takes easier. It would be good for live performance uses as well. I know you could build a stack to do this now, but this can get messy when you're in the composition phase and routing isn't as static.

I feel part of the issue is that you can't change a preset linked to a track in the timeline. (As far as I know) One thing I find a bit counter intuitive is that presets overlap within the same lane. If you want to replace a section of one preset with another you have to do it in an empty space and then move it on top because if you command click to make a new preset on top of the preset it'll take you to the editing page.

Being able to explode the track to display lanes for each of the presets akin to Logic's quick swipe comping is something I'd love to see, especially because one of Logic's shortcomings is that it doesn't work with MIDI tracks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_1Zdmn9jc0
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 PM

Default takes timeline

i was thinking something like a daw. like clicking on the stack "icon" what have you on the left of the time line for the particular stack you are editing and have a drop down menu that would let you select a take and load it into place on the screen. does that make sense? something like that would be great. There are lots of other plans for the timeline at the moment it seems! being able to advance the starting point ala reaper etc would be great the "command L" option is good but would love to be able to click on the upper part of the timeline grid and have it start at the selected point.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM

Live preset recording would be sweet!!!

I can bet that having a movable wiper would be a technical challenge, as it would likely effect overlap in non-standard length sequencers right?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlydrybeans View Post
Live preset recording would be sweet!!!
Yup, and with a simple take system...

I'm also trying to find a way to reconcile the stack playlist and the timeline -- ideally I'd like to have each mirror the other, but that's going to take some work, and probably some tweaking of preset behavior...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlydrybeans View Post
I can bet that having a movable wiper would be a technical challenge, as it would likely effect overlap in non-standard length sequencers right?
Timeline wiper drags will be quantized to beat boundaries at first -- later on I'll add more grid options and eventually un-quantized options..

Cheers,
Jim