Numerology Store    Download  Techniques    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Siderial

Old 02-15-2012, 03:09 AM

Default Why be creative Whats all the fuss?

I'm sitting her looking at the screen again.

At the press of a button I can call up all kinds of magic.

Sound tools, graphics, writing tools.

It's all very well and good. We love to explore this world. To experiment to produce creative work.

While perhaps the spouse the family the neighbours shake their heads, wondering what's the big deal. It's not like he's getting richer more famous and finding more love than someone who doesn't give a hoot for these mousings around. Go play video games, go walk the dog its lifes little pleasures that are important!

So why do we do it. Where does it lead?

I have a whole lists of "reasons" but I'd be interested in hearing any one elses "reasons" for spending time and money on these projects without end! Will we all get rich and famous, all 500,000 or so of us that play the cumpurter music game on an enthusiats level. Or the 20,000,000 budding enthusiast photographyers.

Are we all just desparately seeking approval an audience ANY audience?

Creative people a boon or the scrouge of the earth? Why Why and Why?!

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 02-15-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 AM

Default Creative Roots

In the olden days before Radio, and TV and even the daily newspaper many places are perhaps like that still. Time stands still, nothing really happens that's not right here and now. Living in the present in your own enviroment with it's limitations was all there was. Oh sure maybe a letter , a message passed on by a family member.

Then to make things liven up sombody grabbed a old beat up guitar, a drum, a flute, whatever then everything got lighter, gather round the fire and tell stories, songs. So it made a hard life bearable lightend the load. Tightened the bonds between the family and the tribe.

Anybody and everbody joined in.

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 02-16-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 PM

Creativety , I suppose it's pretty obvious that it's a prerequisite for growth of an individual, and of the society as a whole. At least it seems we honour the creative and intelligence. It's we are told one quality separates humans from the animals. I not even sure we have a exclusive on creativety there..

So I think it's generally agreed statement the Creativity is a good thing.

But is it always a good thing, and can we have too much of a good thing. Often I hear opinions of what are we going to do with all this art all this music all these books, plays, paintings and cookbooks!?

How much wunderfulness can the human heart the human condition bear? Is there limits to creative productivty, should there be a sound tax, after say an artists first 50,000,000 notes the notes per capita tax goes way up?

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 02-16-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM

It is a fascinating question. I sometimes think that creative work is like scratching an itch.

For me, I feel like I spend easily more than half my creative time and energy preparing for work that I will do when I have more time, more energy, more mental space, etc.

In the past, when I've gotten really deep into projects (composition, mostly), it is incredibly satisfying work. For me, the main thing is hearing something that is new, and uniquely inspired. Hearing work that scratches both the itch I had to make something satisfying, and the itch I had to hear something very specific that no-one else would ever dream of.

I only wish I had more time & energy. But the day-job consumes most of me.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 PM

Talking

TwoToneshuzz

I hear you, and I feel your pain!!:-)
Isn't the act of creating the be-all and end-all?
Shouldn't it be?
Do we care - those of us who inhabit the Numerology biosphere? It's a pretty small world in here, but joyous nonetheless!!
Does anyone listen beyond our own head(s)??
Does it matter?
We endure our daily grind to finance our passion.
I know I will never sell a single CD, nor will I get recognition beyond my own bodyspace, but WTF?
I create, therefore I am (fulfilled, happy, add your own...).
I don't even begin to understand a small fraction of what you post, but I'd love to spend a day in your world just to pick up on ideas I will never have,systemic programming that by dint of complexity currently eludes me, simply for the sheer joy of connection.
If you're happy in yourself you don't need recognition.
If you need recognition, you'll never be fulfilled.
I have been taken to so many places since discovering Numerology that I can't conceive of ever not using it on a daily basis.
Keep on bustin' my brain with your esoteric posts - I think(!!) I understand about 5% of them, but they keep me on my toes and point in directions I didn't know existed!!!

Last edited by grumpe; 03-02-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 AM

creative types explore the hidden worlds in our consciousness and our environment that everyday people don't have the time or interest to explore. Finding the meaning of emotion and life and living. Or the essence of beauty. Things that, I guess, seem absolutely essential to us, but non-esseintial in an increasingly materialistic world. We keep the flame of idealism burning bright, make beautiful things and expand the soul of our race.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM

Nice thoughts, Bagger, grand thoughts, thought and sentiments that can fuel a lifetime passion.

I always sensed that when my earthy experience my day to day existance gets so barren, broken and gray, only then and there is where the real need to create something arises,... a statement against desolution, death dispair meaningless existence it's only then the creative light will burn most truly through the darkness, that muddy mist of indiffirence, of ignorance to the ways of the heart. Creativity can be like a defiant gesture against attitudes uncaring, unseeing, the enough is never enough attitude, or when deep in your heart of hearts you are lacking hope, a creative chord or stroke summoned from deep within, involuntary breaks through these tendencies and strikes for once true and sure.

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 03-26-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 AM

I think there's a fine line with music hardware/software and creativity.

On the one hand, it's no different than picking up an instrument and just playing. The reason for doing that has always been the same: for some people making music (or knitting, or pick your creative activity) is a pleasurable end in itself, satisfying in a way other things aren't. There's something about being in the moment, rather than thinking logically and across time. Although there's a lot of pop psychology around this (eg, flow, optimum experience), there's also a lot of sound scholarship behind this position. Outside of our urban culture, music making is often also tied to other meaningful activities, most notably religion and ritual.

Of course, there are people who want fame, or riches, or whatever, but that's a different thing. Also, if you want to get rich, music probably isn't the way to go these days. For those of us who are adults with day jobs, music-making isn't about those things necessarily.

The problem for electronic musicians is that there's so much buzz around software and hardware for making electronic music that it's easy to forget that that is the point, and one can get lost in tweaking one's setup, waiting for new features, fixing bugs, troubleshooting. It's becomes aspirational. Sure, I have to restring my bass or tune up my amp from time to time but that's a different enterprise altogether. There's a sense in which with all this technology, everyone is always just around the corner from being all set. Except somehow they're not.

One of the things I like about Numerology compared with other electronic music software and hardware is that its basic functionality gets me to the point of "just making music" very quickly, even without tons of presets and premade stacks. Although I'm excited about new features, I never feel like I'm waiting for the new thing before I can really make music with it. Part of that is probably because Jim doesn't have a marketing department, which is a wonderful thing.

Last edited by JES; 03-31-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Interesting thread to read! Over here I've dumped so much precious time into this endless pit of joy and frustration! Although I have been going the long and winding road I learned over time that there actually is a shortcut to music creation efficiency: Learn everything about how music works and especially the details that makes certain music tic with you!. I spent an awful long time trying to achieve the goal of not making music that sucks. If I had put a little more initial energy into developing theoretical knowledge and definitions of my own taste my path had been a lot shorter :-) So from being all negative to musical education I today think that every person can easily find what he/she is good at and learn how to do it. After all it's only about frequencies, overtones and the instinctual and cultural associations that sticks to that.
perboysen.com